Wednesday 15 May 2019

Thy ways, Lord


Let me see, dear Lord,
The way that Thou hast planned for me;
Let me tread, dear Lord
 The path that leads me nearer Thee.

A heartfelt cry invades the night,
And splits the stars in countless parts;
I tried to stop it’s rushing flight,
But echoes poured from broken hearts.

My hopes are drenched with bitter tears,
As dark despair surrounds my dreams;
My spirit seem a slave of fears,
My eyes keep shedding lava-streams.

I only see the present day,
But give me, Lord, the strength to stand
And watch my troubles pass away,
Until I reach Thy golden strand.

I’d rather bear these dreary days
And know that Thou art by my side,
Than walk in peace in my own ways
And sense the emptiness inside.

Let me see, dear Lord,
The way that Thou hast planned for me;
Let me tread, dear Lord,
The path that leads me nearer Thee.

(22/07/90)
© W. J. Watterson

No comments: